Monday, March 29, 2010

Blue Goddess

As promised I am actually going to be posting something I've made, & recently to boot! Over the past couple of years I have sewn myself several jersey knit dresses, all of them simple (except for one halter but that was a little bit of a disaster) and all of them assembled from squares and rectangles, and all of them seemed to be admired.

I love them because they are light weight, flowy (that is a technical term by the way), and most importantly easy to wear. Throw it on and some flats and you're ready for the day, throw it on and some accessories and you can look charmingly classy/flirty/romantic/you get the picture lol.

Currently I'm working on nailing down a couple designs out of jersey knit for casually elegant wear and for more specific ritual/fancy garb as well. The dress I just finished was for a dear new friend of mine, and served as a sort of proto type for one option of the ritual wear.

I call it the Blue Goddess



It's in a lovely heather blue cotton jersey knit, which looks fabulous on my friend. Simple pattern that relies mainly on the drape against the body, with an open Grecian neckline and sleeve. I love this style of dress, because really it looks good on just about every body type. The sashed waist can be adjust to accentuate the smallest part of your body, so if your one of the lucky people and it's your waist you tie it there, but generally directly under the bust at the ribcage gives a lovely silhouette to most figures.



The trim I braided myself, out of chenille yarn. It's an eight strand braid that lays flat and works really well as trim. The buttons are mother of pearl, and the glass pearl accents I think just dress the whole thing up.

Overall I'm happy with the way it turned out. It looks really smashing on her and I'll have to corner her sometime and get a picture of it being worn. But there are some things that I would tweak next time. Because I made this particular dress with stash material I only had an allotted amount, if I had more I would have either cut the dress to have more flare in the skirt, or added gores to the side. But that's a personal aesthetic thing. ( I like a LOT of skirt)



One last look at the Blue Goddess before moving on to the next pattern proto type. The next goddess dress will be in an earth tone and a different cut. But that's not what's on the ironing board for today, nope today we leave simple elegance's for something a little bit more complicated, a little bit more romantic and high class.



And that's all the hint you'll get lol.

Stay tuned!

Branwen

No comments:

Post a Comment